Saturday 4 July 2009

Sun, sea and stones

Home again!

And no the ferry couldn't fit in a children's play area. It was a very small space containing four bean bags and a TV screen very high on the wall showing cartoons. And absolutely no kind of barrier to keep children inside. Completely bloody useless. I decided the safest place for little man was on the tiny outside deck bit at the back. Where there weren't people walking around with hot food and drinks or grumpy old ladies who mutter under their breath about children not being under control. Exactly how am I supposed to persuade a very energetic small boy that he cannot go running off wherever he likes? I spent the whole two and a half hours walking him round and round - in the sling as long as he would tolerate it, in my arms, or trying to get him to hold my hand. He still doesn't understand the whole holding hands for safety thing.

But... we had a very nice few days away. Never far from the sea, beautiful weather, other small people to keep little man busy. Thought we saw a basking shark from afar but it turned out to be a small fishing boat. Darn. I have brought home a nice collection of stones. Naughty, I know, what if everyone who went did the same and all that. But I think little man and I might be related to Makka Pakka. We like stones.

Bit difficult now we are home and it is just little man and me. Suddenly there is a lot of whinging and a small person clinging to my legs as I try to get anything done. There is definitely something to be said for communal living with extended families or the wider community even if it does mean losing any privacy. There's only one thing I can think of that you really need privacy for and there's no risk of that happening round here at the moment!

I seem to be very suddenly developing a cold and have been sneezing and hiccuping at the same time for the past hour, something I hope another glass of wine will cure.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good holiday, hopefully the little man will get back into the usual routine soon. Makka Pakka! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you didn't want to brainwash him with the awful cartoons they put on?! ;o)

    lovely photos on facebook too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome Home! Ferries are never child friendly (unless maybe you do one of the channel crossings, I can't remember). Last time we were on a tiny ferry to Gigha, Ellis couldn't understand why there were cars on a boat and got VERY upset!! Hard work.

    I hope wee man settles into daily life soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed your pictures, you're amazing with a camera & a (fast) moving subject! We need to all buy a huge house and let the babies entertain each other, that way, we can all go for wees whenever we want! Lol, and have something that resembles a social life....communal living, yey.

    ReplyDelete