Tuesday 21 July 2009

An ordinary day


We're finally having an ordinary kind of day. One of those days when I don't have to work, I don't have to go anywhere, we both wake up at home and we will both go to bed at home.

We went to Tesco and both had a snooze in the car park after little man fell asleep on the way there. I had to keep a mental tally of what I was spending as I went round because someone stole my debit card details and it has now been blocked. I had £20 in notes, some assorted coinage and a £4.50 Clubcard voucher. The shopping came to £25. 83. I offloaded quite a lot of copper.

I decided to do some proper cooking because I rarely seem to these days. The lamb curry is now gently bubbling in the slow cooker. Little man wasn't entirely happy about me doing things on the worktop where he couldn't see, so I stood him on a chair and gave him a chopping board and some fake wooden vegetables. I knocked over a jar of cumin seeds. Little man reached out and squealed in an 'I want, I want, I want' kind of way. I gave him a few to try. He wanted more. I gave him more. And more. I gather they're good for the digestive system anyway.

He then went on to munch a lot of the tomato I was chopping, although when he got a bit that had been contaminated with green chilli he was a bit shocked. He was so busy nibbling I decided we'd have lunch on the worktop too. We started off with some green olives with garlic and herbs. He loves them. I had to fight to get any. By the time we got onto the bread and tuna pate he wasn't really that hungry. But he was thirsty and he only had to turn around to get to the sink and play with the taps as I filled his cup.

He is now very messy and quite damp. The curry smells delicious. The chickens are squawking and I think they may have run out of feed. And extraordinarily, we have had very little whinging.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh well done. You've made me hungry with all this talk of curry! Yum x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blissful day. I had a cookery helper last night. The mess was crazy, but no moaning while I cooked! We didn't have a wooden veggies, so he had a real banana & a butter knife,he's getting very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely day, i can't believe he eats olives. They're about the only thing my lot have never tried, i have to confess it's because i haven't aquired the taste for them yet so do not purchase them. I will have to go and get a tub for my deprived girls....i'm not sure they'll go down to well though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day! I was just thinking that P would love to 'help' with the cooking. I'll definitely try that tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete