Monday 18 May 2009

Wholesome

Nettle soup:

1. Don pink rubber gloves and wander round garden marvelling at the sudden absence of nettles whilst three chickens squawk at you for attention.
2. Wander down road leaving front door open until you find nearest bit of waste ground that doesn't look like it's been contaminated with dog pee.
3. Pick a generous handful of nettle tops. Return home ignoring nosy neighbours who probably think you've finally flipped.
4. Wash thoroughly (the nettles, dear), strip off (the nettles!) stalks and chop leaves roughly.
5. Sweat a diced onion and celery stick slowly in butter til soft.
6. Add nettles and let those sweat a bit. You may now remove the rubber gloves.
7. Add whatever stock you happen to have, I found some proper stuff I had made in the freezer.
8. Simmer for a few minutes then whizz in a blender.
9. Dash outside again to pick a head of wild garlic flowers to garnish.
10. Tuck in. Grated parmesan is nice on top too.

I was surprised how yummy this was. I seem to recall once making nettle tea that tasted very earthy, ie like soil. But this was fresh and zingy and really filling. And nettles are full of wonderful vitamins and minerals.

Now I have to make some when little man is around and see if he will have it from his Doidy cup. He seems generally suspicious of green food. I am really missing him while he spends three nights with daddy. It means I haven't even been able to try out my new slings yet! A Storchenwiege Leo Turkis 4.6m and a Yamo Mocha Flowers. Tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Really must be killing you having brand new unused slings lying around! Will be making this very soon, shame I have no wild garlic...

    ReplyDelete