Saturday 6 June 2009

4 present, 2 arriving, only 14 to go...

Why? Why does teething have to be like this? It really doesn't seem to work very well. Do all mammals have it this way or what?

Little man got his two front bottom teeth at around 8 months and his two front top teeth at around 11.5 months. Then nothing until now (15.5 months). So I guess both he and I have had some welcome respite.

I've known he was teething for a couple of weeks now and have been checking the lumpy bits to the side of his existing teeth wondering just how much longer it could take for some more to appear. In the meantime he has been chewing his fingers, whinging a lot, not eating much, not settling at bedtime and waking in the night. I have given the odd dose of paracetamol when he was upset in the night and just hoped it would all get a move on and we could get a few out of the way in one go. I don't fancy a fortnight's hell for every single tooth.

Anyway, I was putting some Bonjela on his gums at 4am today. As you do. I happened to slide my finger further round and whaddya know... two teeth have cut through halfway round. So it would seem we are on to molars before he bothers getting the other incisors. Trust my little man to be different. It's no wonder he has been upset but I didn't realise he was actually cutting these biggies so now I feel bad for not giving him more paracetamol and Bonjela and teething granules. And cuddles.

But it does explain why he wanted to eat the frozen sweetcorn before I put it in to cook with the pasta tonight. And why I'm having some medicinal wine even though all I've got left is a bottle of white, which wouldn't be my first choice.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/6/09 18:39

    Hey, I feel your pain (well, little man's pain and your long suffering frustration). We've been on tooth-code-red for about a month and people keep telling me oh so helpfully "oh they come in fours don'tcha know?!"

    They'd better be damn good teeth is all I can say...

    Hope it's over for you both soon.

    ReplyDelete