Friday 2 April 2010

Don't forget to breathe

Picking them up, putting them down, changing their nappy, giving them piggy back rides, chasing them round in an attempt to get them dressed, playing on the floor, sleeping with your arm round them because they woke up crying at 1am, carrying them upstairs, carrying them downstairs, picking them up, putting them down... Being the parent of a toddler gives you backache.

Yoga works a treat. I started going to a weekly class about three months ago. Of course, as I'm a single parent going out in the evening entails calling on the babysitters, ie grandma and grandad, again. Anyway, yoga irons out all the aches and twinges for a while.

Every Thursday I think to myself: I should do some of these postures at home too, then my back might stay ache-free for longer. And the inevitable happens: I do fuck all about it. Just like every night I think to myself: I should go to bed earlier tomorrow. And every evening I think I should do something useful instead of watching telly. And every day I think I should get on with making some more curtains. And sorting out my paperwork. And painting that bit of skirting board that never got done.

At least I've managed a couple of 'shoulds': eating less crap and drinking less wine. Now, what I really want to do, as opposed to should do, is find a tai chi class as I've been going to classes on and off (more off than on) since I was a student and have still never learnt the whole of even a 24-step form.

1 comment:

  1. I love yoga though I haven't really done it in years. Need to start again.

    Have tagged you : http://www.newdaynewlesson.com/?p=1684

    ReplyDelete