Friday 30 April 2010

Pitter patter on the window

Just a quickie here to express my delight at hearing rain on the window. Yes, you heard. April in my neck of the woods has been abnormally dry and now, just as the buds burst on the lime trees opposite my house, we're getting a decent bit of rain. You know, the rain we're supposed to get in April to help this green and pleasant land stay green and pleasant. And yes, you know, the lime trees that are going to drip sticky nectar over my car if I have to park on the grass verge. Then again, I don't think it could make it look much worse... must get round to renewing that tape on the bumper.

Where I used to live was in a very exposed spot. There was nothing to break the wind and rain between our bit of Wigan and the Irish Sea. Now, although I am a stone's throw from the Mersey, it's a lot more sheltered. I used to hate the windy weather. I never could get in touch with that part of nature's ferocity. All I thought about was the unexplained leak above the kitchen window and the vulnerability of the trees I had planted. Now I don't have trees to worry about because I don't have a garden any more. And all my window frames look like they were made for a different house where they might have fitted.

Anyway, happy soggy Beltane. If you want fecundity, I guess you have to live with the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment