Thursday 22 April 2010

The up side

I'm a bit picky when it comes to fluffy, self-help, affirmation chanting, personal development techniques. I'm happy to hug trees and obviously The Force is with me and if I were ever to be invited to dance round a bonfire at Beltane I'd probably say yes. But I like to think I'm not entirely away with the faeries. Anyway, some people think you should write down three things to be grateful for at the end of the day in order to stay positive. So here goes with my things to be grateful for today before I slip into an irreversible cycle of cynicism in the face of traffic jams, legal threats, sinus madness and a house full of sand:
  • Little man slept til half seven on what was only the third night in his new big boy's bed, having woken up a couple of times on each of the previous nights. He doesn't even seem to want to get out when he wakes up, just chatters and eventually whines to himself til I go and get him.
  • He sat still for his first ever full haircut. The knots at the back were getting a bit much and he wouldn't let me near him with a hairbrush. So I was glad that although he gave me a thunderous look that said 'you know I'm not happy about this, don't you?' he actually co-operated remarkably well.
  • While we were at the park, the maintenance guys arrived to mow the grass. Seeing the sit-on mower was definitely the highlight of the little fella's day.
  • We both had a TWO-HOUR nap at lunchtime. Yay. I don't normally manage to drop off before little man wakes up, but I know I must have because I had those crazy dreams you get when you sleep in the middle of the day.
  • I've remembered the existence of cottage cheese. Low fat and I actually like it.
  • My back yard gets more sun than I expected. I thought it was facing due north, but it must be slightly more to the west, so one corner is a little suntrap in the afternoon.
  • My yoga class has ironed out all the mummy aches again.

No comments:

Post a Comment