Tuesday 5 January 2010

What is that orange light flashing on the dashboard?

Oh, it's the really helpful, did-you-know-your-tyres-aren't-gripping-the-road light. I had noticed, actually.

I may now reluctantly admit that the weather is a little unusual. Yes, we've had quite a bit of snow. And when there is snow making the car slide in the slow lane of the M6 I think even I have to admit it's bad.

I am of the 'well it is winter, it's only a bit of snow, what's everyone worrying about' camp. I assume that because I think the authorities should keep the major routes clear, they obviously will. Including the dual carriageway between the M62 and the Runcorn bridge. Yes, the one I've just done 27mph down because of the slush.

I had to walk little man up to his grandparents (the other grandparents) in his buggy this morning because they live up a hill on a very narrow lane that it would not have been a good idea to drive down. Then I drove 50-odd miles to work in Preston. Through a blizzard. Then I drove 50 miles back to Runcorn, several hours after dark, in freezing conditions. I have left my car on a flat bit of road half a mile away and walked home hoping the car will be a) still there and b) moveable tomorrow.

Now, my main concern is not whether I can get to work tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure that will all be fine. It's how the hell I am going to go and pick little man up from his grandparents in the morning as there has now been more snowfall and tonight it will freeze... It's about seven miles. I'm considering hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment