Tuesday 19 January 2010

Red carpet

Woohoo, Skippedydoodah has given me a Sunshine Award. I'm trying to decide what to wear for the ceremony. What do you mean it's not that sort of award? Jeans it is then. Again. Anyway thanks to Skip for her kind words. I sometimes need reminding that I have 'strength and humour and principles'! Although being called a 'weaner' ie baby-led weaner, makes me feel like a German sausage for some reason. Actually, most things make me think of food at the moment because that's what happens when you are supposedly on a diet.

Back to the award, I'm meant to nominate another 12 blogs, but I'd rather invite you to browse those already in my blog list, which isn't as dauntingly long as some I've seen! (Skip, incidentally, has the finest collection of crafty blogs you're ever likely to find on her list, which is perfect for anyone who works and sometimes has a moment to spare...) Some of these people are 'real' friends, most are 'virtual' friends. And most of those virtual friends arose from the BLW forum.

I know some people find the idea of being 'friends' with people you've never met a bit strange, but being a mother, single or not, can be a very lonely task. If only all play groups were like Sling Meet, where sensitive, attachmenty-type, natural parenting is a given. As they are not, it's nice to be part of a virtual community in which such outlandish things as babywearing, co-sleeping, baby-led weaning, home or unschooling, household creativity and trying to respect one's child as a fellow human being are not things that have to be explained or defended.

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh congrats on the award.....will pyjamas do for the 'do'? And I couldn't agree with you more. I've met far more like minded people, esp when it comes to parenting, online than I have in the 'real world!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear!! I wouldn't survive without my weaner friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous20/1/10 08:45

    Big up the weaner massive! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the BLW forum quite a bit when the small girl was younger, but haven't found time for it lately; thanks for the reminder - I will pop over and have a potter.

    Oh, and do you ever use the AP board on iVillage? I've found it to be quite good, and very friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award. All the top celebs wear jeans these days don't they ;o)

    I thoroughly agree with your comments on virtual friends. They are so lovely & accepting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen the AP board at iVillage. I'm a bit wary of the time such things might take up, when I should be Getting Things Done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like-minded online friends are great to get you through those Is-It-Just-Me? moments. But when you do find some like-minded real life people it is soooo good. I treasure every sling-wearing person I know (which, admittedly, isn't many, but as least it's more than just me).

    ReplyDelete