Friday 22 January 2010

Toddler delight

I've been thinking about the delight little man shows in all kinds of fairly ordinary things: cats, diggers, aeroplanes, canal boats, squirrels. But more than that, his utter lack of moral judgement about these things. He loves to see vans and trucks, but his enjoyment of them is not tainted by the thought that they are bad for the environment. He is very much into cat spotting at the moment, but he doesn't know that domestic cats kill wildlife. An aeroplane does not mean so many tonnes of CO2, a grey squirrel doesn't represent the decimation of an indigenous species.

Also, the sort of world young children exist in is so different from the world of adulthood. Toys and books are all about farms, animals, trains, castles, fairies, birthday cakes. Things like paperwork, offices, bills, leaky roofs and the need to stock up on toilet roll don't get much of a mention.

In other news, little man turned red and blotchy today and apparently has some kind of viral thing. That would explain why yesterday he crawled onto grandad's lap and actually fell asleep. It's unprecedented for him to fall asleep in the daytime while motionless. It means he hasn't had his swine flu vaccination. If anyone's done the research please feel free to agree or disagree with my hunch that this is not such a terrible thing.

I can also report that my coolant leak is fixed. And the power steering fluid leak I didn't know I had. So I am now somewhat poorer. But I drew the line at a ball joint with excessive play. I already know what that feels like to drive, although I don't know what it actually means. So if anyone knows, please feel free to tell me if my wheel is about to fall off.

1 comment:

  1. dont worry about the ball joint.. its a bit like a shoulder, when you get old, it becomes a little loose :-)

    ReplyDelete