Monday 11 January 2010

Slings and roundabouts

Walked to the grandparents with little man in the buggy this afternoon. I didn't want to use a sling in case I slipped on ice. That turned out to be the wrong decision. Pushing a buggy through slush the consistency of lemon sorbet is hard work, and in some places virtually impossible. Good for the thigh muscles though.

In some places I was dragging the buggy backwards on two wheels. I may have uttered a few expletives. I ended up walking in the road whenever I could. So the sling would have been more sensible. At least when you've only your own two feet to worry about you can quickly leap out of the way of oncoming traffic. Should have listened to Cave Mother asking What Would An Inuit Mother Do?

I think I need to strengthen my babywearing muscles anyway. The boy is getting heavy but I refuse to be stuck in a situation where I can only go for a walk where are there no stiles, no narrow gates, no rough paths, fields, undergrowth etc and no fun whatsoever.

Sorry I misled you about the roundabouts. There are only figurative ones featured here. I wasn't going to walk the long way round just to justify the title of a post!

3 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel about lemon sorbet slush & a pushchair. Tonight's journey was a nightmare!

    I have given up slinging now that Bruno is 15kg+ and most things are uphill from our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little man is still quite light, fortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, though - I worry about slipping in the ice, so mostly I encourage the witchling to walk, but end up picking her up here and there anyway. We have still been using the mei-tei in a back carry, though; I would miss carrying her, even though at nineteen months she must be 25lb or so (she is quite dinky for her age, I think). Snow's been good for sling time in a way as she hasn't wanted to walk all the time!

    ReplyDelete