Wednesday 27 January 2010

Matilda the Hun


She's top dog in the chicken coop. The others are Flossie and Gertie. I can't remember if I've given you a chicken picture before, so here they are in the summer at my old house.
They now live at my folks' allotment, for the time being. I have my name on the allotment waiting list but it's over two years long. I can't have backyard chickens because my backyard is decked to bring it up to the level of my kitchen door.
They have laid precisely two eggs since I moved out of the old house in October. I don't expect much over winter, but TWO eggs?! Still, they are pretty chickens. As chickens go.
The allotment is about five minutes' drive away. In warmer weather I would walk or cycle. And guess what, I hardly ever make it down there. Mostly because my dad has taken chicken care duties upon himself. But also because of the whole what day is it, where am I meant to be, my to-do list has gone off the bottom of the page thing.
I have toyed with the idea of cooking the chickens because of their lack of laying mojo. But as they're bantams it would be a lot of trouble for a small meal. So I'll keep them, and when I get my black/white board I'll have to also come up with a chicken visiting rota.

1 comment: