Tuesday 28 April 2009

The Tao of Pooh

I changed my facebook religious views a while ago to 'taoist pagan' when I had obviously had one too many glasses of wine. But it's actually quite accurate. The taoist bit means that I don't give a shit about many of the things that a lot of people give a shit about, that I try to go with the flow and avoid getting caught up in all kinds of strife and struggle (wu wei, in other words). I think this attitude is why I'm not currently going quite as crazy as I could be. But remember: The Tao that can be described is not the true Tao! Although the book, The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff, is quite a good description. A tai chi class helps too, although I am somewhat restricted in my ability to find one at the moment due to being a single mother.

The pagan bit means that I like to hug trees, watch the sunset, listen to an angry blackbird or paddle in icy cold seawater. It's about being in tune with the natural world, being green, feeling that our pre-Christian ancestors probably had it right when they celebrated the changing seasons and worshipped the creative forces of the universe. And lots more besides that I can't put into words right now. So blessed be and enjoy Beltane.

No comments:

Post a Comment