Sunday 19 April 2009

Extreme knitting

It's exciting stuff. I have been knitting for only a few months. It's very therapeutic when you're coming to terms with the end of your marriage and you're at a loose end in the evening after little one has gone to bed. (Ignoring the floors that need disinfecting, the loo that needs scrubbing, the fridge that needs cleaning...) And already I am throwing caution to the wind. I have a pattern for a tank top from a website http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTboogie.html. I have some Aran-weight yarn. Which is not what the pattern specifies. I think it looks nice in 2x2 rib. Which is not what the pattern specifies. I am doing a line of cable. For the first time. Without a cable needle. I have no idea if the resulting garment will fit me. I even have a cunning plan to cut the arms and neck area off an old blouse that doesn't fit any more and sew it into the tank top so it will look like a trendy ensemble.

I am starting to think I may be better at the ideas than the execution. Or maybe it's the doing rather than the end result. I have a head bursting full of ideas and I love beginnings. Beginnings are full of potential. I am at a new beginning in my life as I work out how I'm going to live as a single mother. I can imagine all sorts of wonderful things that might happen. But probably not while I'm sitting at home knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment