Monday 20 April 2009

Mooncup activism

No I am not embarrassed to talk about my periods or menstrual products. So there. You've been warned. I had to dig out my Mooncup this morning. I remembered that I still haven't used the little advertising stickers they send out when you buy one. I should pop them in my bag; you never know when you might find yourself in the perfect toilet cubicle. That would be one that is frequently used but not so well maintained that the cleaner will immediately remove the sticker.

There are 13 full moons in a year, usually. And for people with a nice regular 28-day cycle there are 13 periods in a year. I have seven or eight. That might sound good but unfortunately it's because I have polycystic ovaries, which is not so good. Lots of unpleasant symptoms, plus the fact that I don't ovulate naturally. That's why my lovely little man was conceived by intrauterine insemination. At around midday on Friday, June 6th, 2007. And it's why I developed gestational diabetes and my little man was born a week early after I was induced. Of course, because of sod's law I bought my first Mooncup just a couple of cycles before I got pregnant. Then it became useless as it was the wrong size.

So for anyone on fertility treatment I recommend immediately buying a Mooncup. In fact for anyone who ever has periods, I recommend buying a Mooncup or similar. It saves that frantic hunt through your bag only to realise that you forgot to pack any tampons. Instead, you can pack your stickers and become a quiet activist in the fight against that hideous phrase: sanitary products.

No comments:

Post a Comment