Tuesday 2 February 2010

Splash!

I have finally got rid of one source of parenting guilt. I have taken the little man swimming. I would like to point out that he has been swimming before, with his dad, although not for a while. But in very nearly two years I haven't actually taken him myself. Today, after much time spent with a razor and the purchase of a new cossie, I was finally ready to risk a trip to the pool.

Little man didn't seem too sure at first. He clung to me very tightly with his legs as well as his arms. He wasn't happy about being swooshed around in the water. But he did like the section of the pool that was shallow enough for him to walk around playing with all the toys. He poured water from a watering can into a plastic teapot. Then tried to drink it. He bopped a ball. He tried to sink the floats.

We went to what I thought was a toddler lesson. This turned out to be mostly free play with the toys. Followed by about four minutes of nursery rhymes with actions. Not much of a lesson really but I guess that's what you get when you don't want to fork out a tenner a time for posh classes.

Getting both him and me dried and dressed again afterwards was an interesting challenge. I think taking shampoo was somewhat optimistic.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Getting Monster under the shower before or after is a HUGE challenge! We haven't ever been when they have toys our other than floats. We end up just walking up & down the stairs into the water though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tip for getting changed: take a "poncho" towel so he can play while you change, take a book/toy and lots of snacks & a drink. I can't stress how many snacks. At least a full lunch worth!

    ReplyDelete