Sunday 28 February 2010

On modern life

I've finally joined the 21st century and bought an MP3 player. My birthday treat. I like the idea of not having to own CDs. To have music that doesn't exist as an object cluttering up my shelves and needing dusting and eventually disappearing in the way that the one CD you decide you want to listen to always does. Where is my A-ha Greatest Hits?

I'm not usually a fan of the latest technology. The sort of technology that clutters up your life and demands your attention all the time. I still have a pay-as-you-go mobile phone that is now two years old and is looking a little battered. I won't replace it until it actually stops working. I've never bought my own television; I always seem to get given them, which is handy.

I think this time of year is a big reminder that for all the trappings of modern life we're still creatures of nature. I reckon most people are waiting for that little bit of spring sunshine that lifts the spirit and makes you want to get off your arse and do something. Despite being able to watch all manner of crap TV or play space invaders online at any time of day or night, most of us still have an instinctive emotional response to a bright, sunny morning or a grey, drizzly afternoon.

I'm off to put The Levellers on and pretend that I'm fourteen and that it's summer and I can still get away with wearing tiny denim shorts and mobile phones have not yet been invented.

No comments:

Post a Comment