Thursday 4 February 2010

Please just go to sleep

This is a real time post. I'm trying to type without drawing attention to the fact. We have resorted to a certain popular children's TV channel in the hope little man will doze off. My car is in the garage having its dodgy ball joint fixed. I walked around town for an hour this morning hoping little man would fall asleep. We came home with a new book (Where the Wild Things Are; I've never read it and am wondering what all the fuss is about), a bunch of daffodils and a wide awake toddler.

64 Zoo Lane has just finished and we're listening to the lunchtime story.

I then had to keep him from climbing on me while a nurse took blood samples so I can get life assurance. Oh the joys of having had gestational diabetes. And of pushing a buggy around without having had any breakfast. I used the buggy thinking I could head home as soon as he fell asleep and I could park him in the living room during the nurse's visit. Obviously plans like that never work out. Still, at least I know my blood pressure is ok despite little man wailing 'knee' at me.

Is there any programme more annoying than Show Me Show Me? I can't actually understand what the child is saying during the 'counting in the lift' bit at the beginning. Also, I think on each of the four or five occasions I have seen it, we have had the absolutely atrocious Poy-does-the-Grand-Old-Duke-of-York sketch. Today though, it's Chris being Humpty Dumpty. I've only had two cups of tea today; I think I need something stronger now.

After lunch we went upstairs for a nappy change and then played tents in mummy's bed. I admit to a vain hope that he might snuggle up in my arms and we could both have a nap. Ha ha ha. He wanted to look at his book about the beach.

So now we're watching Chris prance around wearing flippers and a snorkel. I briefly had to close the laptop when little man wanted to join in. He is so obviously tired. He is staying on my lap rather than the usual rampaging. We're now watching Penelope, which is set in a world where even highly excited children are quiet and gentle and talk in very soft voices. It's now 1.30pm. If he does fall asleep it will mean a late night. If he doesn't it will mean a fractious afternoon.

Can anyone tell me why anyone would want to cut tomatoes with scissors? I Can Cook thinks it's a good idea. I think my nearly two-year-old can already chop veg with a knife. Under close supervision of course.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/2/10 15:00

    As a mum of 2, I can often relate to your posts but this one, hmm, I’m really not so sure. If children’s television annoys you, turn it off! It’s not for everyone but it’s not supposed to be and surely it’s not whether you enjoy it but whether Little Man does? I’m not advocating days, or even hours, spent in front of the television but I think a little context is needed. “Show me, Show me” is a modern day equivalent of Playschool which many of us grew up on and, dare I say it, it didn’t do us any harm. My son has learnt to count thanks, in part, to the opening credits (by the way, isn’t it realistic that the child is hard to understand, I spend my life deciphering my son’s babble and guessing is half the fun!) and the show encourages a sense of fun and physical movement which I don’t think can be a bad thing. Similarly, “I Can Cook” may not get it exactly right but if it encourages a generation of children to experiment with food then I’m all for it and not particularly bothered what they cut their food with.
    Being a mum is a hard job but I would rather relax and enjoy it with my kids. Do I need him to cut vegetables with a knife, aged 2? Not really but I do need to know he is having fun and a range of experiences and I think that, just maybe, there is room for half an hour of Show Me Show me in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we've all had one of those days where that blessed channel is turned to. We now have everything recorded so we don't have to suffer the likes of Poy & Chris but watch Numberjacks after Numberjacks after Numberjacks.

    Basically, it doesn't matter what it is, it is usually annoying! Monster was off nursery ill yesterday so at least it was a way to get him to sit down & chill out!

    What veg have you used for little man? We're struggling here - mushrooms ping across the room and other things are too hard to start on with a sharp knife...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veg-wise, it tends to be me putting my hand over his on the handle of the knife, as he doesn't have the strength to push it down. He will have a go at onion; I slice it, then he chops it into smaller pieces. Or tomato that I've already quartered.

    As for whether I need him to do it, it's more a case of him desperately wanting to be involved. I wouldn't get any cooking done if I didn't give him something to do to 'help'.

    And of course I could switch the TV off. It doesn't normally go on until after 6pm when it helps him wind down for bedtime. For the record, he enjoys Waybuloo and In the Night Garden. However, there are days when I get fed up of the fact that he won't nap at home and daytime children's television is a last resort as he will doze off in front of it. Which suggests something about how much he enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your post - and it made me laugh. I share your weariness with CBeebies drivel and I am rather shocked at how the Anonymous commenter managed to miss any traces of irony in your post.

    I have SO been in that "When are you going to get tired?" place and, unlike your good self, I don't need any excuse to turn on the aforementioned CBeebies. Hey, it does the job. But should I be worried that "Beebies" is one of Cave Baby's first words?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/2/10 21:36

    On the contrary, I didn't miss the irony in the original posting but was prompted to post by the fact that I really don't see the need to get so uptight and precious over Children's television - it is what it says, television for children!
    If you want the irony that seems to have been missed, we all seem to be agreeing that a) CBeebies serves a purpose and b) it's tough being a mum with a grizzly child.
    JK - I sympathise with needing to distract a child whilst cooking. I have a passion for cooking and find that my son is happy to play with his plastic pots, pans and food whilst I handle the hot and sharp stuff.

    ReplyDelete