Thursday 11 March 2010

Plumbing problems, aka pissing blood (TMI alert)

I suddenly have great sympathy for anyone who is prone to urinary tract infections. I had no idea how nasty they could be. Never having had one before I ignored the initial symptoms - you know, the feeling you need to wee five minutes after you just did and the whole burning sensation thing. So last night I was up at 1.30am with pelvic pain, dashing to the loo and peeing blood. Nice. The only painkiller in the house was paracetamol (brought back memories of going into labour and being offered the crappiest, most ineffective painkillers known to womankind). I ended up watching Supernatural on TV Choice on Demand at 4am whilst pacing around the room. And, of course, any kind of illness is a million times worse at that time of night. I managed another hour's doze at about 5.30am before little man woke up.

I am now armed with: antibiotics, Nurofen Plus and cranberry juice. And I am so glad my family are nearby and my dad was free to take little man out for the day so I could go back to bed. Although I discovered the major drawback to living opposite a primary school: it's impossible to nap during the children's lunch break. Makes me grateful to have a boy. Little girls seem to screech a lot.

So I feel crap but am trying to maintain my sense of humour. It was certainly funny when the nurse asked if I was on the pill in case I needed advice on taking extra precautions while I'm on the antibiotics.

2 comments:

  1. Eek!

    Would you like ice in that cranberry?

    *passes large glass, and suitably diverting DVD boxset*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd prefer a large gin in it! And I've just gone and ordered the first four series of Supernatural so I can waste hours of my life.

    ReplyDelete