Friday 18 September 2009

Wears the baby...

I'll admit it was the Bringing up Baby programme that first alerted me to the existence of baby slings other than the very limited selection in the standard baby shops. And then it was my own bloody mindedness that made me want to do something different to what the vast majority of parents do. Since then I have owned... let me think... er, ten different slings. I now have just five of those, having sold some on.

So yes, it is addictive. Especially with such a friendly sling group near me in Preston. Look at http://www.slingmeet.co.uk/ to find your nearest. Great help when you're learning how to chuck your child on your back in a manner that makes bystanders gasp in shock.

But it's also wonderful. Little man gets to be up at adult level and people talk to him and include him much more than if he was down in a pushchair. He got closeness and security in the early days that I think has now helped him to be very adventurous and confident. I get to go for walks without worrying about terrain, stiles, gates, mud. I get to go through shop doorways with ease and along narrow pavements without risking life and limb going into the road. And because I've always carried him, his increasing weight isn't a problem... yet.

I'm not a purist though. I was, in fact, spotted this week pushing him back from the shop in a buggy. I just needed somewhere to put the shopping!

2 comments:

  1. I was quite a late babywearer having had the pariah Bjorn for 9 months. I used to love the gasps & looks when I swung Monster onto my back. I agree with what you said about its benefits and it is so nice for people to chat to your wee 'un rather than ignore him in a pushchair! at 2 1/2 years I have now passed on my last sling - I found 15kg my limit. I'm sure I could have gone on a few more months if it weren't for moving to the bottom of a hill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hubby that spotted you, I didn't think to look twice at the lady pushing the pram, even though we were practically driving past your house! Imagine my surprise. Prams make useful trolleys :-)

    ReplyDelete